Token Mechanics AMA

Hi there! My name is Alejo and I lead the Research team at Zeppelin.

I’m also the author of the ZEP Token Mechanics paper and I’m happy to answer any questions you may have about them until December 28th at 2pm UTC :slight_smile:

Ask me anything!

UPDATE: While the official time for the AMA has elapsed, I’ll be happy to keep responding to the questions you post, so feel free to share your inquiries with the community here!

Welcome Beta Testers: Get Started Here!
Introduce yourself here!
Introduce yourself here!
About the ZEP Private Beta category

Hola Alejo, it would be great to have a section about token generation and distribution.

How tokens are generated? What needs to happen for that? does zeppelin choose who will be the initial token holders and the token supply is controlled by them?

I also came up with this scenario: If the tokens can be traded in a free market I can get the necessary amount of tokens to challenge and execute an external vote with +51% attack? If I can target a popular package this can be very profitable for the “attacker”. I know that is an extremely unlikely scenario, but just want to know if that can happen and if you thought about it :grimacing:

Is there any description what kind of packages could have linking fee? Is it like payment for external (oracles) job or some kind of patent payments?

Augusto, hola! :smiley:

Great suggestion! I wanted to limit the scope of the token document to its dynamics only, but I agree that we should give more visibility on the token distribution… We’ll make sure to include a section on this topic in the coming version of the whitepaper.

For the time being, let me say that we have pre-sold some tokens to strategic sponsors, and are now running the private beta to distribute some more among partners. We will explore different distribution mechanisms in the future.

Regarding your second question, your assessment is correct, but bear in mind that te more popular a package is, the more token holders will participate in the vote to support it, thus rendering a 51% attack extremely costly.

Hope this answers your questions, but don’t hesitate to ask again if I wasn’t clear :slight_smile:

Hey k06a! Thanks for asking!

The idea of the EVM package system is that the decision of charging a linking fee will rest on the developers of the packages, as opposed to being made centrally by the system. Any developer can thus attempt at monetizing their code by submitting it to ZeppelinOS.

In the beginning, packages will consist of on-chain code that people can link from their own projects. Further down the line, services like oracles, file storage, computation, and the like will be supported by the system. Some of those services will have their own native tokens, but ZeppelinOS will take care of automatically exchanging ZEP into those tokens so that users can use ZEP throughout without worrying about the particulars of each service provider.